A Gracious Place

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

A Good Book

I just finished The Lost Letters of Pergamum by Bruce Longenecker. I think this is the first novel I’ve been required to read while in seminary, and initially thought it strange that this text would be required for my Intertestamental History class. Don’t get me wrong; I (and most of my professors) love well-written fiction! This book is great, and I highly recommend it!

The format is similar to C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters wherein the plot of the story is conveyed through a series of correspondence between the main characters. In this case, the main characters are Antipas and Luke the Apostle. Longenecker based Antipas off a reference in Rev 2:13, “Antipas, my faithful witness,…was put to death in your city [Pergamum]- where Satan lives.” From this, Longenecker builds a character. Antipas is an Elite in Roman society and comes into contact with Luke (and his account of the life of Christ) through the correspondence of mutual friends.

The story is well written, and the reader is simultaneously introduced to the culture, politics, and history of the first-century Roman world (hence the reason why this text is required for the class). This book will give you insight into the world of the text, and give you a perspective into the dynamics of the times- very important to interpreting the Bible. I found it fascinating to consider the enormous barriers the Gospel faced in the first century. Indeed, Jesus Christ was a radical fellow, not only to the Jews, but to the Gentiles also, who lacked the historical perspective of the Jews as well as their messianic expectations. I found my heart edified as I pondered the reality of persecution and the cost of discipleship. The style is elegant and easy to read. The plot will keep the book in your hands.