A Gracious Place

Sunday, April 29, 2007

He Remembers


He Remembers
Originally uploaded by dandeelines.
This is Dan’s rose. Yes, I received it as a birthday gift a couple years ago, but Dan has saved it from the trash several times, so he has adopted it. It is one of those little rose bushes that is a potted plant, but “everyone” knows you treat these things more like flowers in a vase and as soon as the little plant starts to go down hill you toss it.

Dan gets attached to plants and doesn’t give up on them as quickly as I do. I am thankful he doesn’t, because this little rose bush has become very special to us. It is a reminder in our home that the Lord sees our plight and that He cares. Just when you feel as though you can’t go on, just when you feel as though there may be no hope, just when the rose bush is brown sticks with just one green leaf left…He reminds us that He cares.

You see the last time this rose bush bloomed was right before we found out I was pregnant. It was our darkest hour. Now, as we hold a little one in our arms and endure the last leg of this marathon called seminary, as Dan keeps running even though he can’t feel his legs beneath him; the rose bush blooms and we remember that our Heavenly Father sees our plight.

Today in Sunday school we read in Isaiah about the Assyrians who were sent as a judgment upon Israel to destroy them because of their unfaithfulness. But the Lord saw their plight and gave them hope in their darkest hour. He promised He would preserve a remnant and that “A shoot will come up from the stump of Jesse: from his roots a Branch will bear fruit” (Isaiah 11:1) So though the vine of Israel looked trampled on, destroyed, brown and dried up…He sent Isaiah with a message of hope.

The True Vine lives that we might have life. The Father saw our plight and made provision. So today as I look at the rose bush and am reminded of His physical provision, I see beyond that to the hope He gives in His Provision which is eternal.

“In that day you will say:

I will praise you O Lord.
Although you were angry with me,
your anger has turned away an you have comforted me.
Surely God is my salvation;
I will trust and not be afraid.
The Lord, the Lord, is my strength and my song; he has become my salvation.
With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.

In that day you will say:

Give thanks to the Lord, call on his name;
make known among the nations what he has done, proclaim that his name is exalted.
Sing to the Lord, for he has done glorious things;
let this be known to all the world.
Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion,
for great is the Holy One of Israel among you.”
~ Isaiah 12