A Gracious Place

Thursday, February 16, 2006

End of the Spear

So, right after I posted about rarely going to the movie theater, we went on Saturday to see End of the Spear. The $16 price tag (after a $1 student discount) reminded me that I could own the DVD for the same price! Anyway, we went with a group of young adults from church, and we had a good time. The movie depicts the events following the murder of five missionaries to Ecuador in the 1950s. If you’ve read Through Gates of Splendor or Shadow of the Almighty, this movie essentially picks up where those stories leave off. The movie is well done, more emotionally compelling that I was expecting. One of the difficulties I had while reading the book (Shadow of the Almighty) was imagining how volatile and truly dangerous this Ecuadorian tribe ("Waodani," formerly "Auca") really was. The film filled in the gap. The story of reconciliation is phenomenal, a testimony of the power of the Gospel. If you’ve read the books, I recommend the film. If you’ve seen the film, I definitely recommend Shadow of the Almighty, as it will give you a glimpse into the heart of Jim Elliot. This book is essentially his journal and correspondence arranged into a biography by his wife, Elisabeth. My World Missions prof said he reads it every year. After reading it myself, I can see why!