A Gracious Place

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Heartbeats and Hopes

I went to the doctor this week for a check-up and got to hear the baby’s heart beat for the first time. It is amazing to think there are two hearts beating in my body! Maybe this won’t seem weird to anyone else, but my whole life when I've gone to the doctor she's put the stethoscope on my chest and has listened to my heart. But this time the instrument was put on my stomach and the heart that was beating, that the nurse and I were listening to, was not mine, but somebody else’s! Strange indeed!

A couple of our dear friends sent us 3 books in the mail the other day; a children’s book with great illustrations called “Jesus Loves Me”, a parenting book called “Grace-Based Parenting”, and a journal to write out my thoughts on faith, the baby, pregnancy, and life. Each book touches a different part of my heart, stirring the hopes and dreams I have for parenting and for our child. It was a precious gift.

Speaking of hopes and dreams I have to share my 6 year old nephew Logan’s plans for the future. He told his mom (when he was five) that if being a soldier when he grew up didn’t work out, his second choice for a job would be to work at Dunkin' Donuts….They were standing in line at Dunkin' Donuts at the time, and I guess he must really enjoy it there:o) You can’t argue with that!