A Gracious Place

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Miss Potter

Last week Dan trustingly sent me to Blockbuster to make a selection. With his words “Just don’t get a movie you haven’t heard something good about” ringing in my ears I almost settled for Happy Feet as it was the only flick there I’d heard anything about. I’ve heard it has good music and fun animation, but also that the story is sub par. However, I was in the mood for a good story and not really desiring animation, so I continued scanning the walls. I came to Miss Potter, which had a very large section and many of the DVD’s already taken. I took that as a good sign. It’s rated PG and is compared to Finding Neverland. It stars Ewan McGregor and Renee Zellweger. The true story of Beatrix Potter, it sounded good to me. I decided to go for it and be prepared to take full responsibility if it was a disaster, since I hadn’t heard a word about it. Fortunately, we loved it! The dialogue is clever, the story compelling, and Zellweger is a genius of an actress portraying the genius, Beatrix Potter. (AFTER you see the movie read her biography at wikipedia.com) So if you haven’t seen it yet, go out and rent it with confidence…knowing you’ve now heard something good about it:o)

Disclaimer: If you prefer seeing cars flipping over peoples heads and bombs going off, be forewarned this movie is on the calmer end of the dramatic spectrum.