A Gracious Place

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Resolution #10

10. Resolved, when I feel pain, to think of the pains of martyrdom, and of hell.

This is just one of Jonathan Edwards’ many personal resolutions (or goals). They can be found here, and are excellent. He was committed to growing in godliness. The making and reviewing of his personal resolutions was for him a spiritual discipline. I thought of this one today while I was in Greek. My bladder was full, I was extremely uncomfortable, and I still had 20 minutes left! So I used my discomfort to cause me to think of my unsaved friends. Hell is real, and it’s a lot worse than a full bladder. It’s duration is a lot longer than 20 minutes. To my shame, I do not pray as often as I ought for my lost friends.

This resolution also helps us to get some perspective on the physical pain we normally complain of, or seek to anesthetize as soon as possible. I know that I have not experienced suffering even close to the degree or duration of many. Instead of writhing in self-pity, I may use my pain as a springboard for prayer (easier said than done, of course! I usually just complain, ask Diedra).

Our pain may be used to help us pray for those whose circumstances are far worse than our own, like Hurricane victims, or the hungry, or the persecuted, or the impoverished, or/and especially the lost. Thanks Mr. Edwards! Dead almost 250 years, he is still encouraging many to follow the Savior.