A Gracious Place

Monday, June 05, 2006

Into Africa

Well friends, finally I'm able to post. Internet has been fairly difficult to access until now, and still it is so slow, that it is doubtful that I will be able to post any pictures anytime soon.

Our flights were fine. The cabin temperature on the trans-Atlantic flight was a bit too warm, which made sleep difficult. However, our flight from Amsterdam to Abuja was rather empty, and quite comfortable. We did have a slight issue with our luggage. We were missing a piece containing four laptops! Praise God, though, we received word that they found it yesterday. One of our team members, Jeremiah Gado also did not get his main suitcase when we arrived in Abuja. He's been a model for patience as he's lived off the few items in his carryon for five days now. His suitcase should arrive in Jos today.

We stayed overnight in Abuja, before departing next day for Jos. The driving is insane! Tons of small motorcycles all over, and very lax traffic "rules." Quite the experience, and I found myself holding my breath at times.

The Nigerians are most hospitable, very gracious, and warm. Our hosts (Nathan and Jane) feed us delicious food, and have given us accommodations that are better than expected. They are tireless in serving us, a most humbling fact. They have so little from our American perspective, yet are so generous! Now in Jos, we have a little bungalow on an old Lutheran mission compound. Everything reminds me of the countless slides and stories I saw and heard growing up as my Grandparents, Dad, Aunt, and Uncles (and countless visiting missionaries) recalled the days in India. In a strange way, I feel more connected to them, though through a different country.

It's hot, but not unbearable, as we are on a plateau, and the temps are cooler than the rest of the country. We have showers and even warm water (sort of, sometimes)!

Church was a wonderful experience, and makes me long for the diversity of our worship in heaven with representatives from every nation and tongue! I took some great video of this little Nigerian boy dancing to the music! So precious!

Today was the first day of class. My students are wonderful so far, and I anticipate a mutually encouraging time together. I took a picture of each one, so I might memorize their names tonight. A nice thing about digital cameras, eh? Our team has been struggling a bit with intestinal issues. Not necessarily from bad food, as much as a radical change in diet. Please pray that this will go away soon. Pray for wisdom, stamina, and safety. Pray that our teaching will glorify God and edify these brothers and sisters. Thanks!