A Gracious Place

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Beggar Theology

Since Dan’s has had such a heavy load at school this week I thought I would help him out by posting on “our” blog. He is so gracious to include me in the title of this blog even though I have only posted one other time.
So here is what I was thinking about last night and this morning, “We should come to God in prayer demanding nothing, yet expecting everything”. Like all other aspects of life the balance is hard to find. Sometimes I find myself assuming God should work my way, like he owes me something. Then other times I think God doesn’t owe me anything, so I shouldn’t expect him to work on my behalf…why even ask. I think a good biblical example of balance achieved is the account of the Canaanite woman in Matt. 15:21-28. Look it up! And while you’re at it look up Psalm 104 and remember the God to whom you are praying. I have so many warped views of God. And as I pray throughout the day I have to be careful that I am not thinking of God as my imaginary friend or my buddy up in heaven. Psalm 104 as well as many other passages blows those views right out of the water! Praise the God of the universe that he would remember me a beggar.